Saturday 4 January 2014

Packing for the trip

1 Jan 2013
I hadn’t planned to stay up late enough to watch the fireworks, but between the Antarctic packing and finishing up papers that are already late, I accidentally got to watch them. Since our flat has a castle view, we were able to look out the window and enjoy the show – which is great because it was an amazing display (on par with some finales I’ve seen, but for the whole show!) and I was able to go back to work afterwards…then get up at 5 am because I can’t sleep in when I’m stressed out.



Packing for Antarctica is unlike any other packing I’ve had to do. I’ve travelled to Kyrgyzstan for remote camping-based field work before and we recently moved almost everything we own across an ocean, but this was different. The British Antarctic Survey provides much of the gear, but not everything. They are providing warm-weather gear for the cold, but I will need clothes for while I’m on base. They are providing the tent and food, but if I want to eat something other than biscuits (crackers) and tinned fish for lunch, I need to bring extra food. They are providing the internet connection, but I have to bring an appropriate device so I can use it.



I like to plan ahead for packing so I’ve taken over the large table in our kitchen for the last several weeks. Anything going to Antarctica (or potentially going to Antarctica) went on the table. Yesterday was my chance to sort through it all and make the final decisions. Some were easy: Ideally, I would like to have enough socks to change them fairly regularly (~10 pairs?), but I only own 7 good pairs of socks. Easy answer: bring them all and make do! Other things were harder: Do I need my own warm coat? Do I need any nice looking clothes? Am I going to want more than one fleece? I made some guesses, asked a whole bunch of questions of my colleague who did this last year, and I’ll find out how well I did on my packing when I get there. I have managed to leave 6kg of extra space in my bag for my sampling equipment that we will load up when we meet up with the other half of our party at the airport tomorrow. We only get 23 kg of total checked luggage and another 8 kg hand luggage.
Inevitably, there will be things that I brought that I don’t need and things that I wish I’d remembered. But I have my passport, traveling clothes, and three cameras and anything else beyond that will make things more comfortable but it isn’t necessary J

3 Jan 2014 (update)
Made it to Punta Arenas after 40 hours of travel. Headed to Antarctica tomorrow.

Here are some fun links to follow the weather at the base (I'll be there for 4-6 days) and you can check out the webcam. I will try to stand in its view at some piont :)

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/living_and_working/research_stations/rothera/

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk//images/webcams/rothera/?cam=2&date=2014-01-01%2009:00:54&position=1

http://www.accuweather.com/en/aq/rothera-station/2273730/weather-forecast/2273730


1 comment: