Monday 1 July 2013

Flat Hunting

25 June 2013
This is a nice, but small, kitchen in one
of the flats I looked at.
There are lots of flats. In fact, my initial problem was that there were too many flats available on all the websites. Once you filter by location (within walking distance, so less than 2 miles), price (needs to be something we can afford with one salary), and type (looking for 1-2 bedrooms so no studios or huge places), there are still somewhere between 30-50 flats on the main websites (like gumtree). However, there are a couple of big problems: the good ones disappear within a day or two and almost all of them don't accept dogs. We want to bring our "daughter" with us, but it may be more difficult than we thought...

Looking for a place to live brings up a couple of other issues: phones and buses. Just calling places to arrange appointments was harder than anticipated. I got a new SIM card for my smart phone that had 300 UK minutes, 3000 texts, and unlimited data for about 15 pounds. The phone system is set up differently than in the USA. The phones have free incoming calls and the cost varies depending on what type of phone you are calling. Calling a local number is the cheapest (landline), with mobiles (cell phones) and business numbers being more expensive. The minutes included on the plan, however, are only landline minutes. I had to add additional money to my plan to call mobiles and businesses. I like the US plans where I don't have to worry about who I'm calling.

A crucial part of looking for a flat included actually seeing properties and I used the bus system a TON. In general, Edinburgh is small and easily walkable, but for longer trips and especially at the end of the day, it's nice to take the bus. (Side note: First of all, I'm still getting used to which side of the street I need to stand on to get the right bus.) Bus tickets are only £1.50. The buses are designed well and no matter where I'm going, I generally only need one bus and a small amount of walking. I also really like the bus stops here with their electronic signs indicating when the buses are arriving. Thank goodness for Google Maps and the great navigation on and off public transportation! 

There are lots of big letting agencies that focus on Edinburgh. As a general rule, letting agencies don't allow dogs. That leaves me looking for private landlords. However, it is harder to find private landlords. I spent the first week or so looking at flats through agencies but only got more depressed about the prospects as I went. These days were great exercise, though. I walked a bare minimum of 3 miles a day and usually closer to 5 miles. 

Shared garden of the flat that I really liked - most flats don't have any yard at all and this one is actually quite large.

After not finding anything and having numerous appointments cancelled or rescheduled, I got smart and put up my own "Flat Wanted" ad on Gumtree. I got several great responses from that and set up a couple of viewings. I absolutely fell in love with one of the places that I saw! I didn't want to commit right away and she said she would hold it for the weekend for me. I plan to see one other place and then decide between them. However, it was a weekend and not much progress can be made so I switched gears. 
View part of the way to the flat. Fun city landscape. 

29 June 2013
Time to explore the local pubs! 
View of the castle on the walk to the flat that I liked.

I walked from my office to the flat that I liked (~35 minutes with beautiful views of the castle) and then I found a pub to try. While I was there, I met the pub mascot (a golden retriever) and his owner. The nice, retired gentleman told me how the neighborhood is great, how the take-away restaurants are delicious, and how the neighborhood is nice and quiet and I would be lucky to live there. I couldn't have asked for a better reference. He also complimented me on the fact that I was 
drinking a pint :) While we were talking, he found out I was a geologist and told me how this area used to be covered by a mile of ice - very impressive and not your run-of-the-mill pub patron. 

Back to the flat in time to get some laundry done. It's a nice feeling to be in the home stretch - just need to look at one more flat before we decide! 

1 comment:

  1. Its the Flat Hunter!! It sounds like things are getting sorted just fine. I am happy to here you found a flat and (more importantly) your local (for those of you who aren't British that means local pub). Understanding the accent will come in time.
    :-)
    Bram

    ReplyDelete