Monday 1 July 2013

Starting work

(Note that blogs were written the date that is shown, but are being posted on a bit of a delay.)

24 June 2013
I'm working at the University of Edinburgh.
After only a weekend of being in town, I headed off to my first day of work. Luckily, it was essentially all just filling out paperwork and getting things started. An easy first day.

As I was walking from the bus to the office on my second day of work, I saw two people were walking down the street in my direction.  I only took particular notice because they were each holding roses. As I walked by, the girl reached over and handed me a flower and said, "Have a wonderful day!" and kept walking. I thanked her and headed to the office. I didn't have a spectacular vase, but the flower certainly did brighten my bare desk up and helped make me smile. 

Someone randomly handed me a rose on
my second day of work and said,
"Have a wonderful day!"
I'm sharing an office with three other people at the moment - and none of them are Scottish! It's an odd, international mix here, but everyone has been really welcoming. I've also lucked out on getting an office on the same floor as my chlorine lab, which will certainly make the lab work a bit easier. Just to emphasize the international nature: I was cleaning out my desk and I found currency from four different countries (UK, US, Euro, and Iceland). I also found a cell phone charger that fits my phone, a stapler, and some duct tape!
-       
-          
      Lots of people have been asking about my research. I'm just getting started and I promise to explain it in a later post, but for now, you can check out this great blog (with pictures) from the same project that I am a part of...and there's another field season to Antarctica this year!
You know you're working at an international institution
when you find currency from four countries while
cleaning out your new desk.

     


       Update: I have an actual contract
       and my website profile exists –
            It's official! I have a job!

-          








-         

1 comment:

  1. I had to laugh at the fact someone randomly gave you a rose. What a warm welcome! I hope you are handling the "first month madness" ok!

    ReplyDelete