Wednesday 3 July 2013

My first pint!

26 June 2013
After one of the people in my office had a hectic day working on a grant, we headed to the pub to let off steam. Of course, if she had completed the grant that day, we'd have been out to celebrate at the pub. Or if we just needed somewhere to hang out, we'd have headed to the pub. It seems to be the social place to hang out no matter what the occasion. I learned a lot more than just hassles of grant writing - in fact, I was educated on all sorts of fun new terms and traditions here in Scotland.
I tried a new hard cider: Black Rat. It was
very light, but with good flavor.  Pints
are typically ~£3.50.

Here are a few of my favorites (with more to come in
future blogs as I discover them!):

Some things make logical sense, but it's not the word I
would have used:
     Filled rolls - Sub sandwiches
     Cooker - The oven/stove combo
     Toasties - Grilled sandwiches

Some things are popular and I've heard them
plenty on British TV shows:
     Flat - apartment
     Diary - Day planner/calendar
     Bin - Garbage can

And some things were completely new to me:
     Swede - Turnip-like vegetable (although, I'm still not clear on it exactly, although this blog does the best job I've seen). I've been enjoying some carrot & swede, or sweet potato & swede mixes, so I guess it doesn't matter how it is technically classified.
     Hob - Stove top (not necessarily in the same location in the kitchen as the oven).
     Jobbies - Dog messes. It seems to be a "tradition" here to tie these up on the branches of a tree instead of walking over to put them in the bin.

There were a few more words I learned, but I don't think they're appropriate for a public blog. You will have to come over and visit and I'll fill you in on the "adult" parts of the conversation...

Finally, I learned that Scotch eggs are, in fact, something that people eat in Scotland. Essentially, it's a hard-boiled egg, covered in meat (like sausage) and then covered with bread crumbs and fried (See an example recipe and photo here). I'm hoping to apprentice to my officemate and learn the recipe the next time she makes her popular treat.

6 comments:

  1. I've made Scotch Eggs, and really like them. Probably easier to make with more practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your first pint. Your first step to being truly Scottish. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. They have something like Scotch eggs here in the Netherlands as well. Most times they are covered in something like ground beef, and you can buy them from vending machines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sell them pre-made in a non-refrigerated section of the grocery store here, but I was warned to avoid those and only get them fresh (especially when I try my first one).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE scotch eggs, especially with a pint. If you learn the secrets to the manufacturing of these pint sized pint sides you have to promise to share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like it may not happen for a little while, but I will share!

    ReplyDelete