Monday 29 July 2013

Whirlwind Wedding

24 July 2013

I just returned from a whirlwind trip back to the States to see my sisters (one birthday and one wedding) and it was fantastic! Of course, it was also exhausting, but so are most fun trips :) While this trip isn't directly part of moving to Scotland, it certainly impacted my moving more than I thought it would (see final paragraph). So in order to show no favorites, I'll go in chronological order:

Happy Birthday, Whitney! (Biological Sister)

Although my sister got married two days before I left the country the first time, I didn't really get to spend time with the bride and groom during their wedding, so I made a special trip up this time to help them move into their new home and celebrate my sister's birthday. HuHot Mongolian Grill with a free piece of heavenly birthday cake for my sister! I hope she liked her birthday present - I boxed up most of their kitchen for them :)

The chef is doing a special birthday demo for her -
look at his hands ablur with motion!
The new couple and their beautiful new house!
(Sorry for the repeat from Facebook) 

Happy Wedding, Kristin! (Nico's Sister, My Sister-In-Law)

As was expected, the wedding was beautiful, the bride and groom were radiant, and a good time was had by all! It was absolutely worth the trip back from Scotland and I know that I would have been devastated if I hadn't been able to make it. 


One of the great things about the wedding was the opportunity it presented for Nico to dress up (he even wore shoes!) and we took a few pictures to commemorate the occasion. Of course, no photo shoot goes perfectly with Nico around. I don't remember all the details, so I've done my best to recreate the experience here for you:

"One, Two, Three - Cheese!"  "Nico, what are you doing?"


"Okay, let's try another pose. Wait a minute - what are you doing behind my back?"


"Here, Sweetie, let me straighten up your tie" (I hope you read that as though I was speaking through gritted teeth...)

Ahhhh, I love my husband :)

Amazingly, we actually got a couple of nice photos. 

Yes, those are dress shoes on his feet. I double checked,
it WAS actually Nico and not a stunt double :)
My sister was nice enough to play
photographer for our photo shoot. 


It was also nice to take advantage of some of the down time to catch up with other family members too. I didn't have my camera out the whole time, but I did manage to get few pictures of Nico and Melissa:
Grrr...You're my cousin - I hate you!
Just kidding - Love you, Cuz!

The first time I got on the plane for Scotland, I was excited about the adventure and I knew, in the back of my mind, that I had a safety net. If I forgot something, I was going to be back in a month anyway (and bringing two more checked bags over!). However, this trip had a finality to it that the previous one lacked. I was moving to Scotland for more than a year with no planned trips back to the States until AGU in December of 2014. Although I'm mostly moved in, there are still a few important things that I can't speed up: I move into my flat (not just the room I'm renting temporarily) at the end of August and then Nico and Kasha join me at the end of September. Until that's all done, I will still be in limbo, but at least things are calming down and I remember thinking on the plane as we were landing in Edinburgh, "I'm exhausted. It feels so good to be home!"

No comments:

Post a Comment