Sunday 7 July 2013

Random Observations - The first of many...

7 July 2013

This post doesn't really have a unifying theme, but here are some interesting observations (all shown in photos) from my first 2 weeks in Edinburgh. Enjoy!






They have interesting dog poop warnings painted on the sidewalk. This was the least explicit artwork from my walk to the store today.









The doors here are very historic. They are large, made from wood, and look like something that should be on a castle. This also means that the keys are cool - when was the last time you saw a skeleton key in the US? I now have two on my key ring...













I needed to buy a mug to keep in the office for tea time. I found one on the discount shelf because it had a chip out of it - so cheesy, it's cool.










Gas prices mean nothing to me here. After a little bit of work, I converted 133.9 p/L (pence per litre) to $7.69 USD/gallon. Happy we don't have a car here!










Andy (my colleague) ordered me a hammer for our field work - so excited to go out and use it! Tentatively schedule for the beginning of January.





These are ALL ciders of one variety or another.



I LOVE all the cider here! There is a cider festival at one of the local pubs. At the grocery store, there is an entire section that is all hard cider. So much more selection than in the US. It's also nice that every pub has at least one cider on tap :)  I think we are definitely going to have a larger alcohol budget over here...










 My first time out for whiskey, there was a menu that explained how to determine the "palate" - the text in the photo is normal, but the items shown for this are apples, coffee, and asparagus. Who has ever smelled asparagus in their whiskey? I don't think I want to try that one...






It's very light here until late - this picture was taken at 10:15 at night on my way home on July 4th. The street lights were just starting to come on.


Enjoying the sunshine this weekend and hoping it stays sunny for at least a little while longer!

3 comments:

  1. Nice Shasta! Glad you and Nico are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe you need to rename your alcohol budget to "water equivalent" budget ;-P

    I can't say I have tasted asparagus in my whiskey but one of the best quotes from the movie "Sideways" has a wine taster say "and yes just a touch of asparagus.

    Is that Nessy on your mug?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good spot, Bram! That is Nessie on my mug (which is why it's sooooo cheesy, but it was cheap and fun so I got it anyway).

    ReplyDelete